Grow, Glow & Show Crystal Science: Activity 15
Crystal Growing Kit for Kids
Paint Your Own Display
I’m jumping ahead in the Grow, Glow & Show Crystal Science Kit to create the display! When you’ve completed a crystal experiment and want to show off the results, the DIY display is the perfect backdrop to showcase your work. Not to mention, a fun background to take a picture and share with family and friends online.
How to Create Your Own Crystal Display
1. Unfold your display. The science kit provides paint brushes, a mixing tray, a cup, and paints. Mine is in progress! I choose to paint the center background mostly in black so the brightness of the stars really comes through.
It’s ok to not paint inside the lines! You’ll probably not notice mistakes from a distance! And if so, it’ll give the stars a nice glowing ambiance.
Some colors are more liquidy than others because some pigments react differently to water. If you don't like the way the paint looks, don’t worry! The paint can be applied and fixed in layers. Add a coat of color and let it dry (it doesn’t take too long) and reapply the paint to make the color more opaque and clean-cut.
Missing a color? Try mixing it! Remember: blue and red make purple, red and yellow make orange!
2. Now that your display is painted, wait for it to dry completely before continuing to the next steps. This may take only a little time or more if you used thick amounts of paint.
3. Once dry, fold along the joints of the display. Fold the display creases toward you to prep for the assembly. It will be much easier to fold later on!
4. The best feature of the display box is the raised step in the back! The raised step has tabs on either side. Insert the tabs into the highest slot on the side walls. Bend the next section down like an accordion and insert it in the second-highest vertical slot. The last section will be flat against the table; insert those tabs into the last slots on the side walls.
5. Set up the display right side up. Next, bring down the top section of the display down to form a ceiling. Insert the ceiling tabs into the side walls. TIP: Move the display to its side to insert the tabs easier.
6. Fold the top sides down to complete the ceiling corners. And now, your setup is complete! Look how fun and colorful it looks! You’ll notice some additional slots on the ceiling. We’ll use these for hanging crystals in future experiments. For now, let’s add our crystals from Experiment 2.
7. With the yellow spoon, I’m carefully pressing around the edge of the litmus paper to free it from the Petri dishes. Some may be easier than others! Ever so carefully, lift up the cones and place them inside the display.
8. Snap a picture of your crystal in the display case and show it off to your friends on social media or text it to a family member!
Watch a time lapsed video to see the activity from painting to assembly! Then, join in the fun by getting your own Grow, Glow & Show Crystal Science Kit!