Spy Kit for Kids
CALLING ALL AGENTS - INCOMING MESSAGE: Quick! You’ve just received an important message from a fellow spy. You’ll need to decipher it before anyone sees it! Follow along with this next experiment to make the top-secret Invisible Ink Revealer…
How do you use purple sweet potato powder?
Our top secret ingredient is the purple sweet potato powder! You’ll see as the potato powder reacts to the sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)… A new color will form where the letters are in the message. Make sure the invisible ink message is completely dry before you apply the Revealer.
How to Make Invisible Ink Revealer:
1. For this experiment, you’ll need the sweet potato powder, yellow spoon, a feather, and water.
2. Scoop 3 large spoonfuls of purple sweet potato powder into the test tube.
3. Add enough water to almost fill it and leave about ½ inch from the top. Look how pretty the purple substance looks! Screw the cap on tightly and shake the solution.
4. You’ve made the Invisible Ink Revealer! Just like the invisible ink, this solution will try to separate - make sure to shake the solution in between uses.
5. Take your feather and dip it into the test tube. Feather side first! This will act like a makeshift brush. TIP: Pinch the tip of the feathers down first to fit into the tube. Continue to pinch along as you insert the feather farther down.
6. Gently wipe the purple solution over the dried secret message. Can you read it? What does it say? SHHH! Don’t tell… keep all the secrets. 😉
Practice writing a few messages to really get the hang of it. Start with larger letters first and perhaps use one of your secret alphabet codes next!
Take a look at this video to see how to create the Ink Revealer from start to finish!